In October 2023, the American Medical Association published a very interesting article entitled, “What Doctors Wish Patients Knew About Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.”
Find the full article HERE.
This article gives useful points of information about carpal tunnel syndrome. As an orthopaedic shoulder and hand specialist, Dr. Johnny T. Nelson MD is very dedicated to patient education and awareness.
The key points of the article include:
1. Numbness is a more important symptom than pain
2. It is worse at night
3. It is more common in women
4. Other health conditions play a role (thyroid, diabetes)
5. Pregnancy can bring on the symptoms
6. Do not blame the keyboard
7. Carpal tunnel syndrome is not hereditary
8. Physical exam helps the diagnosis
9. Sometimes cortisone shots help
10. Try wearing a brace at night
11. Take frequent rest breaks
12. Practice good wrist posture
13. Know when it is time for surgery
14. Some may need further surgery
15. Carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands is concerning
16. Do not wait to get diagnosed!
While some of these points require further explanation and may not apply to every person, they are helpful to help guide patients and inform them about carpal tunnel syndrome.
Dr. Johnny T. Nelson, MD is the North Carolina carpal tunnel doctor! If you or anyone you know or love is experiencing symptoms you think might be carpal tunnel syndrome, do not hesitate to call 919-872-5296 to make a visit with Dr. Nelson. A visit with him does not necessarily mean surgery. However if surgery is necessary, he offers minimally invasive techniques such as carpal tunnel release with real-time ultrasound guidance that are not available anywhere else in the region.